Installing EmDebian on a USB drive:
- The first thing that we should do is formating the USB drive (ext2 in my case)
- now we are going to mount the USB in /media/grip folder.
- Obtaining lenny from the repositories..
- We are going to make a chroot
- Before installing a new kernel, I had to create a new file /etc/kernel-img.conf and pasting this text (In the guide this step wasn’t mandatory, but it was for me)
- Installing grub.
- Beware We must install grub on /dev/sdb not in /dev/sdbX
- Exiting from chroot
- In my case, I had to fix grub: I edited menu.lst file, and I change the script to start in hd0,0 insted hd1,0
- Change password for root user with passwd, and then add a user with adduser command.
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/grip/
sudo debootstrap lenny /media/grip/ http://www.emdebian.org/grip/
mount -o bind /dev/ dev/
mount -o bind /proc proc/
chroot . /bin/bash
do_symlinks = yes
relative_links = yes
do_bootloader = no
do_bootfloppy = no
do_initrd = yes
link_in_boot = no
postinst_hook = update-grub
postrm_hook = update-grub
aptitude install linux-image-2.6.28-1-686 initramfs-tools
aptitude install what-you-want
aptitude install grub
This information is based on http://gionn.net/howto-install-emdebian-grip-deboostrap